My journey to Muhoroni...

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

First day in Muhoroni

The first night was hard. I kept waking up because of the attacks of the suffocating cough. On the other hand I had a good feeling about the new place and people. Sister Vincent did the first basic grocery shopping for me, prepared pre-boiled water, my bed and even towels, soap, tooth brush, and I found some sweets on the table. Compared to the place in Kenya where I stayed before this was luxury. I found myself feeling guilty for how nice the place was. I don’t know if I should call it a house or a flat because it is all in one building but it has two entrances – front and back. Through the back door I enter the kitchen. The front door opens to the living-room/hall/dining-room. There are two bedrooms. The other is waiting for the girl that will come instead of Dasa. The floor is made of cement; there are nets on the windows. There is about a centimeter gap under the door through which many guests arrive. Yesterday for example a cute frog came twice and then I found a less cute spider there. I also had a mosquito fly by and I staggered him. When I looked down to check if it is dead I realized that I had prepared supper for some hungry spider that was living under the table. He ran amuck on him. I didn’t stay to watch the last part.
Now I am expected to get used to the new environment, get accustomed with the way of life and rest a lot. I can manage that – I think.
I washed all of my clothes the first day. There is a different soil in Nairobi – all of my clothes were red.
I bought a great soap so the dirt went off very well. Apart from that I also unpacked and did some cleaning. At one I was invited to Sister Vincent’s for dinner. She is a nice person. She has been to Africa for 20 years now. Out of that 7 years in Muhoroni. Originally she went to Africa because she wanted to do palliative care. It is interesting where I ended up and how many things seem to be connected to my thinking. She spoke very wisely and simply. People respect her a lot here. Supposedly if someone gives me a nasty look she will do such a fuss that next time they will think twice before doing that... :-) We had soup, hot dog sausages, potatoes, some vegetable. I got some home-grown bananas (they taste differently from classical bananas) and garlic (they say one stinks so much after eating it that it is even unbearable for the mosquitoes).
There were three cows waiting for me in front of the house when I returned home. They always bring some animals here to mow the lawn. In the afternoon we went to Muhoroni. We stopped at the market and we waited in a pub for the strong rain to stop. I bought some fruits and vegetables at the market. There is even a post office here. A letter travels 10 days to get here and from here to Slovakia it takes 5 days!
We got wet again on the way back. Supposedly it never rains so much within one day here. I am happy for some fresh weather.
The surrounding hills look beautiful from far away. I hope that I will get there soon to be able to admire them from a closer view.
Now I would like to drop in the hospital, check what it looks like there.

No comments:

Post a Comment