My journey to Muhoroni...

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

From Nairobi to Muhoroni

I tossed some bread-crumbs to the hens, which are walking in front of my house, and started writing. During my last evening in Nairobi I felt very tired from the amount of people and when Kitili suggested that I could help him milk the cow I felt relieved. The children had a Talent Show where they performed all dancing, drama and music pieces they prepared but the cow and silence was just what I needed at that point. I was dragged, held by hand or hair the whole week, all the time someone called me to go and do something with them. For the change I was the one to pull and squeeze – the cow.
Moreover, the quiet space around the cow offered an opportunity for an interesting discussion about people, enemies, robbers, countries, trust, and capital punishment. (When I was there, in the neighborhood some people killed a robber and burnt him as they were used to.) I wasn’t so shocked by this custom as the first time. I was shocked by the view of the man who was taking part in it and later he lovingly embraced a little child in his hands...
I left Nairobi on Monday morning. When I was waiting for the bus that was to take me to Kisumu, it was the first time that I was alone. Very strange. Before that there was always someone to talk instead of me, especially men (women are typically silent) and I somehow got used to it.
The journey from Nairobi to Kisumu was beautiful! Nairobi is situated on a tableland (1700 meters above the sea level) but only when one leaves the city one can enjoy the view down to the valley. The road goes close to the ridge so you can really see deep. It seemed to me as if someone would travel by bus on one of our mountain ridges and could see to the very depth.

Although at the beginning I was a little scared I slowly came to trust my bus. It seemed that they were very particular about the protection of the passengers. There weren’t many people and later I realized that most people looked richer than me. The bus belonged to the Easy Coach Company but I could as well call it a carriage because I could feel every little stone that we came over. After almost seven hours of travelling my stomach was all mixed up, shaken but mainly empty because I couldn’t swallow anything. But the country around us was breath-taking. Although I slept through some parts I saw many hills, mountains, sugar-reed, black tea, rice, corn...
In Kisumu a Slovak Dáša that has been here for 4 months now, was waiting for me together with a nun, Sister Vincent that is the director of the hospital.
They thought that my empty stomach will do well with some beer so I gave in. I don’t know if it helped...
Afterwards it started to rain and the rain soon turned into a typical tropical storm that lasted the whole way home. I was overwhelmed with exhaustion. I was trembling in spite of the warmth and my I barely kept my eyes open.
When we arrived, I fell in bed and sank to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment